If you feel like to laugh or at least smile, you have come to the right place ! A while ago my best Friend offered me a book named « Plouc toujours » (translation: hick forever) and said: « This is sooooo you!! ahah! ». This book is a compilation of the funniest French phrases that are totally hick. When I started to read this book in the subway, I almost died laughing in front of everybody… she was so true 🙂 I have always been fascinated by the strange expressions and I especially love to use the forgotten and hick phrases because they can be really hilarious. I have picked some of them directly from my grand-parent’s vocabulary (they were farmers in Normandy) or from my Dad who also has this same passion for the funny phrases. Today I have selected and translated for you 25 funny French idioms that are essential to have in your hick vocal list to impress your French friends, family in law, boss or the girl at the French Bakery in your neighboorhoud! What a great cure to cheer up with the arrival of winter right?;)
Here are my 25 favorites French phrases or How to sound like a French hick (me) !
- On est pas sorti de l’auberge * Translation: we are not out of the inn * It means : it will take a while before we solve the problem.
- C’est à se taper le cul par terre * Translation: you would break your ass on the floor * It means : it is delicious
- « Saperlipopette » or « Bon sang de bonsoir » * Translation: good blood of good evening* It means: Damned!
- T’as craqué ton slip ou quoi? * Translation: did you break your underpants ? * It means: are you crazy?
- J’y go d’agneau * Translation: I am going lamb * It means: I am leaving
- Cours Forest, cours * Translation: Run forest, run * It means: hurry up
- C’est pas la mer à boire * Translation: It’s not the sea to drink * It means: it’s not complicated
- La classe à Dallas * Translation: the class at Dallas * It means: very elegant
- J’ai la patate or J’ai la pêche * Translation: I have the potato or I have the peach * It means: I am energized
- T’as une haleine à décoller le papier peint * Translation: you have a breath that could peel off the wallpaper * It means: your breath is horrible
- Ya baleine sous gravillon * Translation: there is a whale under the gravel * It means: there is something hidden
- Ca craint du boudin * Translation: it sucks of the sausage * It means: this situation is embarrassing
- Ca a marché comme sur des roulettes * Translation: it worked like on castors * It means: It went good
- Les doigts dans le nez * Translation: the fingers in the nose * It means: no problem
- En voiture Simone * Translation : in the car Simone * It means: Let’s go
- Va te faire cuire un oeuf * Translation: go and cook yourself an egg * It means: leave me alone
- Autant pisser dans un violon * Translation: it’s like pissing in a violin * It means: it’s useless
- Dacodac * There is no translation * It means: Okidoki
- Je suis chaud comme une baraque à frite * Translation: I am hot like a chip shop * It means: I’m on fire or I’m motivated
- J’ai les dents du fond qui baignent * Translation: my back teeth are bathing * It means: I’m full
- Il fait un vent a décorner les boeufs * Translation: there is a wind able to dehorn cows * It means: it is blowing great guns
- Faut pas pousser meme dans les orties * Translation: don’t push grandma in the nettles * It means: don’t go too far
- On a du pain sur la planche * Translation: we have bread on the board * It means: we have a lot to do
- Ca fait pas rire les mouettes * Translation: It is not making laugh seagulls * It means: it is not funny
- Pastis par temps bleu, pastis délicieux * Translation: Pastis (anise-flavoured spirit and apéritif appreciated by hicks while playing pétanque or at the camping in France) with blue sky, Pastis delicious * It means: I’m happy to drink Pastis
Bonus: If you want to achieve the highest level of the squareness, your sentence can be followed by a name that rhyme with the sentence. Here are some great suggestions:
- Tu l’as dit Bouffi * Translation: You just said it Bouffi * It means : I totally agree with you
- A la tienne Etienne! * Translation: To yours Etienne * It means: Cheers
- Cool Raoul! * Translation: same * It means: Relax
- A l’aise Blaise * Translation: comfortable Blaise * It means: comfortable
I hope you enjoyed reading these French expressions and at least smiled once. Which one is your favorite? If you know any other French phrases that are very funny, I would love to read them in the comments! Bisous, Melissa ♡
Let’s start the week with a little touch of wisdom! Sometimes it is necessary to take some time for yourself and meditation. Discover and meditate on these 20 inspiring Buddha quotes ( Gautama Buddha) on happiness, love, life & peace to be the best version of you. Which quote is your mantra? Bisous & Namaste, Melissa ♡
25 Buddha quotes:
- “Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
- “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.”
- “Doubt everything. Find your own light.”
- “If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.”
- “There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.”
- “Nothing is forever except change.”
- “As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life.”
- “ The mind is everything. What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.”
- “One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world”
- “Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.”
- “The trouble is, you think you have time.”
- “The greatest prayer is patience.”
- “What you are is what you have been. What you’ll be is what you do now.”
- “Will not be punished for your anger, your anger is the punishment.”
- “The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live, and that is the present moment”
- “Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are, it solely relies on what you think.”
- “Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or fail to do.”
- “Every experience, no matter how bad it seems, holds within it a blessing of some kind. The goal is to find it.”
- “Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”
- “It’s your road…and yours alone… Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you. No matter what path you choose, really walk it.”
- “Joy comes not through possession or ownership but through a wise and loving heart.”
- “Your worst enemy cannot hurt you as much as your own thoughts, when you haven’t mastered them.”
- “Live every act fully, as if it were your last.”
- Success isn’t the key to happiness.Happiness is the key to success.”
- “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.”
What is the future of humanity? That is the question I’m having on my mind with these non-stop terrorist attacks all around the world. Recently I made a research on Google (my old buddy has always the right answer to all my questions;)) and found this link where you can see all the terrorists attacks listed since the 80’s. It is just « amazing » how often these attacks are occurring EVERYWHERE in the world lately! They happen more or less every 2 days and the countries victim of these attacks are mainly based in Africa, Asia or middle-east with sadly very few consideration from the western countries. We all should stay united and avoid any kind of racisms or islamophobia since this is not done in the name of a religion. They are frustrated and unhealthy guys exactly looking for amalgams to recruit more lost spirits so let’s not give them this opportunity. We are all concerned by the same threat and no-where is safe anymore, however there is no way that we should stop living due to the fear. Let’s pray for our world. Bisous, Melissa ♡
I have to confess that I don’t really like to read. I have a lot of imagination but it is quite difficult for me to keep focused when reading a book. I have always been impressed by the Parisian people being able to read in the subway with all the noise and movement around. I can’t resist watching at everyone entering in the train at each stop so you can imagine that I can hardly focus on my sms:) I am making this point to explain that if I can finish a book it means that it was really nice to read. I just finished the famous book #girlboss written by Sonia Amoruso, the funder and PDG of Nastygal and I felt it was a very inspirational book. First of all we have a quite similar personality and background: same pee-poo humor, I had also a metal music period, hippy dreams and conception of the life…. but we grew up. Dear Sonia, I would love to meet you;) Then I really loved the book because she is sharing all the experiences, thoughts, tips that made her a girlboss and drove her company to a great success. The text is very sincere, freshY so Fresh and amusing! So do you want to be a girlboss? Check out the most inspiring quotes from the book #girlboss and feel the energy to start a new life!
- The right path is not the only one that leads to success. The real challenge lies in the art of knowing what rule to accept what rules to rewrite.
- Push your limits: the luck prefers action. If you work hard while demonstrating creativity and determination, things are moving.
- The self-esteem is more attractive than any cloth. If you believe in yourself, others will believe also in you.
- You will save time if you do not care about what others think about you.
- Money is often a factor of freedom. To learn how to manage your money is one of the most important things to do.
- Pay your bills on time.
- Cash is king: do not spend more money than you have.
- Banish: increasing your spendings when your earnings are rising. You should save at least 10 % of your income.
- You reap what you sow, so you better sow positive and focus on what you want instead of being distracted by what you do not want and all the positive things that will happen will surprise you.
- If something is never working well, change it for a while instead of focusing on it. That does not mean that you give up but just that you entrust your destiny to the universe.
- School is not for everyone. If you are bad at school, it does not mean you’re stupid or useless, or you will fail in all areas, only that your talents lie elsewhere. You have to find them to thrive.
- Adopt all that differentiates you from others. The real key to success is to know your weaknesses and to exploit your strengths.
- The best strategy to learn anything and anywhere: surfing on Google.
- Be in competition with yourself, not with others. Never lose your appetite for new ideas, new experiences and new adventures.
- Admit your mistakes and apologize. We all make mistakes at one time and the sooner you admit you were wrong, the sooner you can fix it.
- Entrepreneurs are passionate about what they do, not afraid to take risks and do not dwell on their failures. Behind every failure there is an opportunity.
- You will not get anything if you do not ask.
- The success requires some risks; major upheavals open unsuspected ways and create opportunities. If they are terrifying and intimidating, it is because they kick you out of your comfort zone.
- To succeed in the business world, you need a good dose of stubbornness.
- If you are bored or you hate what you do, it is a sign that you are not in the right place. Determine what you love to do and the area in which you are performing, and then try to find the way to make it your job. It is impossible to succeed in a business that you hate.
Source: #girlboss from Sophia Amoruso – http://www.girlboss.com
« To make an end is to make a beginning ». 2015 has been a year full of lessons that will really help me to make a fresh start in a happy mindset for this new year. This year, I don’t want to put a lot of pressure on me to achieve unachievable resolutions even though I still haven’t met all my resolutions from last year (and you neither you know it ). In 2016, I really want to focus and share with you guys some tips about positivity, well-being, healthy lifestyle. A lot of people (Myself first) easily allow negative thoughts to get the best of them and steal all their energy. To work on this and experience peace of mind and happiness, here are 10 ideas that are important to focus on and never forget. Which one is your fav? If you have other advices, please share them in a comment. I would be glad to know them! Bisous and happy new year 2016, Melissa ♥
1. Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn’t change anything. It messes your mind and steals your happiness.
2. Positive thoughts generate positive feelings and attract positive life experiences.
3. There are secrets opportunities hidden inside every failure.
4. Let go of what you think your life is supposed to be, and be grateful for everything that it is.
5. Move on from the past because it’s gone, stop being stressed about the futur because it hasn’t arrived, fully live in the present and enjoy the simple pleasures of life because it is what you have today.
6. Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.
7. Let go of people that are not positive influences in your life and focus on building important friendships.
8. Leave your comfort zone. Everything you want is on the other side of fear. So sometimes saying fuck it is the best decision!
9. If you’ll never try, you’ll never know. So stop wishing and start doing because in the end we only regret the chances we did take.
10. Don’t expect too much from others, you will be disappointed. You are the only one responsible for your happiness. Feeling happy is a choice.